Museo Etnografico Alta Valle Seriana
Ardesio


Address:
Piazza Monte Grappa, 3 - 24020 Ardesio
Tel. 0346.33035 / Fax 0346.34280
info@comune.ardesio.bg.it / www.comune.ardesio.bg.it

Opening times:
For further information, please contact the Town Hall.

Admission:
Admission fee.
Discounted rates.

Tours:
Open for school groups and groups upon reservation.

Bookshop:
Museum Publications.



Historical Info

Ardesio village is located among the splendid Upper Seriana Valley mountains, almost at the confluence with Valcanale, and is settled along the slope that coast the left side of the Serio river.
Located 600 meters above sea level, Ardesio is now a touristic village that in ancient times was based on the exploitation of the mining industry. Iron materials are predominant, but silver and other metals have been
abounding in the area since prehistoric times.
The existence of the mining industry in Roman times is documented by recovered finds as well as by a passage from Plinio il Vecchio's "Naturalis Historia". In the Middle Ages, (1026), Ardesio joined the jurisdiction of the
"curia" of Bergamo bishop until 1427, which is when the village and the whole valley passed under the power of Venice. During that period, the mining industry flourished and kept on growing until the middle of last century, which is when headings fell into disuse and their access was covered with brambles.
The Museum also collects objects belonging to the other activities that throughout the centuries have characterised life in Ardesio; the Museum, founded by the Town Hall in 1982, is currently composed of five sections spanning two floors and an adjacent building.

Exhibition Criteria

In the centre of the first room, called "Community room", is a scale model representing Seriana Valley morphology; around it, along the walls, is a series of photographs illustrating some local places and personalities,
whereas the showcases conserve ancient manuscripts and documents. The most interesting material relates to the apparition of the Blessed Virgin Mary in 1607; a sanctuary was built to commemorate such an event. Alongside it, is a publication by Ardesio priest Antonio Riccardi about the most important sanctuaries of the time (19th century).
Of particular interest is a manuscript containing the Town Hall Statute (1507). The room also conserves a manuscript signed by Mussolini. The document is about the approval, which happened in 1928 during the
Kingdom of Italy, of Ardesio coat of arms, which is related to the origin of the village name, "Ardeo et renascor", and which features a phoenix resuscitating from the flames.


  Back
Map Container
Mostra tutto